- "Not being able to talk sucks. There's no doubt about that. There's a lot of times when I almost feel like I'm trapped inside of myself. Like if I don't talk or yell or scream or laugh I'm going to explode. A lot of the time it almost feels like I'm suffocating." - Keary Taylor, What I Didn't Say
- "When you focus on someone's disability you'll overlook their abilities, beauty and uniqueness. Once you learn to accept and love them for who they are, you subconsciously learn to love yourself unconditionally."
- Yvonne Pierre, The Day My Soul Cried: A Memoir
- "People with disabilities are sometimes very humble and approachable, if you want a seasoned reputation, then behave like one of the handicaps."
- Michael Bassey Johnson
- OPINIONATIVELY : "You didn't play baseball that well with two hands. How do you think you're going to make it with one?
"If you're just going to tell me what I can't do, you can leave."
- Mary Jane Auch, One-Handed Catch
- "I do not have a disability, I have a gift! Others may see it as a disability, but I see it as a challenge. This challenge is a gift because I have to become stronger to get around it, and smarter to figure out how to use it; others should be so lucky."
- Shane E. Bryan
- "Can you stand on your legs?" Sydelle Pulaski asked. "Can you walk at all?"
People never asked Chris those questions; they whispered them to his parents behind his back. "N-n-no. Why?"
"What better disguise for a thief or a murderer than a wheelchair, the perfect alibi."
Chris enjoyed being taken for the criminal type. Now they really were friends."
- Ellen Raskin, The Westing Game
- Robert Lynd, The Blue Lion; And Other Essays
"Try not to associate bodily defect with mental, my good friend, except for a solid reason"
- Charles Dickens, David Copperfield